About the job Automation Engineer
Responsible for maintaining continuous system operation of automated (secondary) equipment (including 6-axis robots) by adjusting, repairing, replacing or modifying system components and for the assembly/wiring of new equipment.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Automation Equipment Maintenance
- Provides guidance and training to lower level technicians for the maintenance and repair of production automation equipment.
- Provides continuous improvement ideas for existing equipment.
- Ensures that all machine safety devices are working properly all safety labels are in place.
- Communicate with the Production shift personnel, Quality and Engineering members across multiple shifts.
- Controls / Safety Design
- Responsible for designing new automation project.
- Selects all electrical panel components, safety devices, sensors and drives used in new builds.
- Makes purchasing decisions and establishes preferred suppliers.
- Electrical / Pneumatic Drawings
- Creates detailed electrical and pneumatic drawings for new automation builds.
- Maintains and updates drawing changes.
- Document all changes to machines, fixtures or tooling during assembly, installation, debug or normal operation as required
- This job description is not all-inclusive, and the employee will perform other reasonably related business duties as assigned by the immediate supervisor and other management as required.
- 2 or 4-year technical degree in Engineering Technology, Automation and Controls, or similar
- Minimum of knowledge and skills at a level normally acquired through the completion of a high school diploma or general education degree (GED) along with 3 years related experience and/or training or the equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Detail oriented, strong interpersonal, communication and team based skills. Comfort in relating to all levels of management, operators and diversity of personalities.
- Self-starter, self-motivated, ability to handle multiple tasks and priorities.
- Advanced reasoning and troubleshooting ability, able to carry out written or oral instructions and problem solve. Mechanical and electrical troubleshooting skills essential.
- Ability to communicate technically, both verbally and in writing, to a wide range of audiences.
- Proficient Microsoft Windows based computer operation including Word and Excel.
- Proper use of power tools and measuring equipment. Must have and maintain all hand and test tools required to maintain automated equipment.
- Intermediate ability to add, subtract, multiply and divide multi-digit numbers. Ability to perform these operations using units of American currency, weight measurement, volume, and distance. Familiarity with binary numeral system.
- Ability and willingness to learn. Self-teaching, individual, group, and classroom settings.
Desired Specialized Knowledge/Skills/Abilities
- Ability to read and understand complex electrical wiring schematics, assembly layout drawings, and ladder diagrams
- Strong knowledge of 120VAC control circuits, 24VDC control circuit, industrial power 3-phase 480V and industry accepted electrical safety practices for testing energized circuits
- Experience in repair of mechanical, pneumatic and electrical components
- Knowledge of PLC, HMI, computer, and robot programming
- Control cabinet building, wiring of PLCs, sensors, solenoids and related equipment
- Configuration of Industrial Ethernet and remote access
- Ability to adjust robot positions, coordinate types, jog and troubleshoot errors